Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Welcome

The Internet is full of amazing products and services.  Many of them are free.  Many people fear taking advantage of free software or services because it could be a scam, attempts to take personal information, or could just be a waste of time compared to tried and true paid products.

I have been using the Internet for decades, and have been a patron of "freeware" long before the public generally had access to the Internet.  While sometimes pay software is the way to go, I often find that freeware is just as good or even better than most of the payware that competes with it.

In this blog, I hope to pass along some of the best freeware that I have found and explain why you might want to give it a try.

First, a little about me.  In addition to being a home networking enthusiast, I am an IT Director for a mid-sized law firm.  I spend a great deal of time testing a wide range of products and services for work as well as personal use.

My first computer was an Apple II back in the mid 1980's.  I actually became rather soured with Apple and have a rather strong bias against it.  I soon moved to a Tandy 1000, an IBM clone running MS-DOS 2.0.  I soon started sending away for "freeware" and "shareware" that was mailed on floppy disks.  I the 1990's I got involved on local BBS clubs where people could swap messages via mode. Eventually this led to the Internet and the World Wide Web.

I have been a long time fan of Windows for my PC and laptop.  I never got into Linux, which I'll admit is a big part of things for people who like free and open source.  I focused more on Windows applications.  When mobile became popular, I was an early adopter of Android for my phone and later a tablet.

Please feel free to comment on my posts and provide feedback.  I hope that you will find my thoughts useful.

No comments:

Post a Comment