Monday, July 6, 2015

PDF Programs


While Adobe has made some wonderful products, I have never been a big fan of its business model.  Its products, aside from being wildly overpriced, come with highly restrictive licenses that make it almost impossible to reinstall the product on different computers.  As someone who is constantly using multiple computers, I just cannot deal with spending hours on the phone with support begging them to give me permission to use software I have already purchased on a different computer.

I had a particularly bad experience with my son's Photoshop license recently.  He broke the screen on his laptop.  Fortunately, I had an identical model computer available that I was not using.  I popped his hard drive into the new device and everything worked great, except Photoshop.  Photoshop apparently sensed that the computer was different and therefore violated the license.  It no longer permitted us to use it.  I now have to go through the hell of calling lots of automated recordings to find someone at Adobe who can help. Such strict licensing is a huge deterrent for me to buy anything from Adobe ever again.

That said, I used the free Adobe Reader for many years, but even it's free product was annoying. It constantly begged to be upgraded, and Adobe would not let me download the setup files to use on multiple computers.  Rather I got a small file that had to go the the Internet every time I did an install on a new computer.  For someone who sets up more than 100 computers per years, that can be a real nuisance.

So, I began a quest for better programs that would allow me to work with PDFs.  One tool that I have used for many years now is Bullzip PDF Printer.  There are many PDF printers out there, so if you already have one that works for you, great.  But for those unfamiliar, Bullzip operates as a virtual printer. Any program that has a print feature can print to the "Bullzip Printer".  But instead of generating a document on paper, Bullzip generates the printed document as a PDF to be saved on your computer.  Unlike PDF export features in some programs, Bullzip should work with just about any application on your computer.

Say you already have a PDF and want to mark it up for some reason.  For this, I used a program from Tracker Software called PDF Xchange Viewer.  Contrary to its name, you can do far more than simply view PDF documents.  You have a whole range of markup tools, to highly, underline, cross out, add notes, etc.  Use the typewriter function to add text.  Use the stamp function for insert other things.  I added a scanned copy of my signature as a stamp.  That way, I can "sign' a PDF document but stamping my signature right onto it.  Another great feature is OCR.  Say you have a scanned PDF document that does not allow you to search the text or do other things (such as highlight text).  OCR will recognize the text in the document and let you incorporate that information to make the document much more usable.

Tracker has recently also released PDF Xchange Editor which also allows full text editing of your PDF in its free version.  Editor is meant to replace Viewer eventually, so you are probably better off starting with Xchange Editor.

Alas, there are a few features unavailable in the free version that require you to pay for the Pro version.  One of the biggest is the ability to merge two or more PDF documents together into one, or to remove pages from a document.  If you want to do that for free, you will need to download a few more free programs.  XL Essential PDF Merger and Splitter are two programs that allow you to merge or split your PDF documents.  I find this very handy for large PDF e-books that I have downloaded, but just want to save a few pages.

With these tools, you should be able to do just about anything you need with your PDF documents, all without paying a penny!

No comments:

Post a Comment